Book Writing Writer

Tuesday 21 January 2014

Motivation? What Motivation!



Grey hair and wrinkles don’t hurt, even if everything else does.  "Old Age and Villainy"









East Alligator river which separates Kakadu National Park and Arnhem Land, Northern Territory, Australia

It's the middle of summer, torrid, with the chance of a storm later...typical Queensland summer weather.  My new home, being on the first floor and facing north (lovely in winter when the sun's lower in the sky) is situated to make the most of the seabreeze off the Broadwater.  Subsequently, although it's hot and humid outside, it's relatively pleasant inside if I'm sitting by a window which catches the cooling breezes.

I've been in my new home just over a month now and the cats have settled in beautifully.  They love going out onto the balcony just to sit and watch the world go by as well as spy on the neighbours.

I had a lovely start to the day, firstly meeting a friend then going for an early morning walk on the beach, finishing at one of the many cafes along Marine Parade with coffee for me and breakfast for my friend.  I'd eaten earlier but was more than ready for coffee!  Two hours later I arrived home to find a message on the answering machine.  Another friend had rung but first things first...I was desperate to have a shower to wash the stickiness away.  Despite the attempt to dry myself after, I was just as wet from the humidity but I did feel better in fresh clean clothes.

I had walked out of the house earlier without doing any tidying so after washing a few dishes and making the bed, I rang my other friend back.  During the course of the conversation, she asked me how the book was going.  I sheepishly replied that it wasn't, commenting that I needed a kick in the arse.  My friend replied she could do that, going on to describe some writing exercises she had found consisting of writing for five minutes every day for seven days.  She's promised to send me some of these exercises...Hopefully it might kick start my motivation.

I use the excuse that it always takes me at least three months to fully settle into a new abode but my writing's been on hold for that long already!  However, at least I'm writing this post...

I hope 2014 is a good year for all.  I've heard so many stories of horror Christmases from people I was pleased not to have any to relate myself.  Having said that, I was too tired on Christmas day to do anything but read and sleep.







2 comments:

  1. I see quite a lot of changes ! New home, new blog, and happy cats in your new home !
    I wished I could complain about the heat, but we have a very rainy winter and lots of strong winds ! I would need a hot shower to warm me up !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn! It's been a long time. I'm glad to see you Mitzi and Bella are doing well. Nermal says hello as well. I stopped blogging a few years back, but I've come back to the blogosphere once and a while to check on old blog friends. Luckily I found this blog on your facebook Phyreupp page. Just wanted to say hello and let you know I've still been checking your updates on Kats Cradle! Take care always!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you for visiting. I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Enjoy!