Book Writing Writer

Monday 6 January 2014

All's Well...


I want to be someone whose words are quoted everywhere, not necessarily because they’re wise, but because they’re funny.  From "Old Age and Villainy"








Bella has made herself quite at home in our new abode.  Her new favourite place to sleep is by my chair when I'm on the computer.  Mitzi sleeps on or under my bed...depending on how hot it is.




Now that I've almost sorted everything out in my new home, it's time to get back into blogging and working on my book(s). Yes, I have another I'm drafting out...a fictional story with a little bit of historical fact from my family thrown in.  However, I reassure Me Sainted Mother that the characters are fictional and the book is not written to let skeletons tumble out of cupboards!  I think she believed me...

My new place will suit me very well.  I've turned the second bedroom into my work space plus I've put one of the recliners in there as there was no room for it in the lounge.  It took me a while to figure out where to put the furniture as, of course, the place is a different configuration to what I had before.

I have the best flat in the block...there are only five, two downstairs and three up above.  I have one of the top ones, right at the front.  It does mean that I hear the traffic but that doesn't bother me too much although it freaked the cats out at first and there was a lot of yowling for the first couple of days.  

It faces north which will be lovely in the winter, and the balcony has wooden slats at the western end to cut down the heat of the sun and to provide shelter from storms which quite often come from the west.  I have my wrought iron table and chairs there and it's a great place for coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening.  Bella comes out with me but Mitzi is too timid yet.  It'll take her a while but she'll get there eventually.

For the first time in my life I had Christmas at home on my own.  I was just too exhausted to go anywhere.  However, I did go for a walk down to the beach at daybreak.  There was just me and a lone fisherman until Santa jogged by with his dog and wished me a cheery Merry Christmas.  It's only about 500 metres, if that, to the beach; I walked along the shore, found a seat and just sat watching the water.  It was so relaxing I could have stayed a lot longer but I was ready for breakfast after about an hour so headed off home.

It's taken me a little while to get things sorted out but I was keen to get all to rights so I could wash the floors.  I always go barefooted in the summer unless I go out then I put sandals on.  I found the experience most unpleasant because the floors hadn't been washed, were gritty underfoot and I had filthy feet at the end of the day.  Even the cats' little pink paw pads were grubby.  I was eventually able to have all in place to vacuum and mop the floors...the water in the bucket was absolutely black!  Also, to my surprise the floor covering was actually a different colour to what I thought it was.  It's come up really nice so God knows how long it had been since it had seen hot water and, of course, it's much nicer to walk on now.

Things are getting back into swing after the Christmas hiatus.  Today I took part in tutorial at U3A on a new system being set up on the computer which will make life a lot easier in the office.  Tomorrow evening is the first of a series of Writers' Nights which will be held once a month to give us momentum and inspiration in our writing (along with a glass of bubbles, of course!).  On 17 Jan, it's a coffee morning with the yoga class and on 18 Jan is our first writers group meeting for the year which will be an open day for those wishing to find out what we do.  My friend, Barb, informed me she "accidently" volunteered me to help her with teas and coffees.  "Accidently"...yeah, right!  Actually she read my mind.  I was going to suggest tomorrow evening that we do just that.  We've done it before and make a pretty good team!

Okay, that's about it for this post...I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  However, I can hear the shattering of some resolutions....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you for visiting. I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you have to say. Enjoy!